February 10, 2010

Essential Gear

© Todd Walker

We live in a time when gadgets have become essential to our everyday existence. Televisions, computers, cell phones, ipods – we all have them. Most of us are addicted to them. Don’t believe me? Take any one of those devices and give it up for a week. Most of us wouldn’t last one day. I’m not saying these things are wrong or evil. Many of these things are a must to carry out the functions of everyday life. Most of us need a cell phone to stay connected to others, or listen to music to stay focused, or use computers to, well, do nearly everything in our business.

“Where you going with this Todd?”

Look, lets be honest. Many of these gadgets are essential. However, many of us get caught up in thinking our gadget isn’t good enough – that we need the latest in order to function properly. I may need a cell phone, but do I need a new iphone 3Gs when the 3G is doing everything I need it to? New bells & whistles are great, until you realize you’re broke, the bells are annoying and you really don’t know how to whistle.

The same is true in photography. There are several pieces of equipment we must have to create images. But it seems every day there’s a new improved camera, lens, image software, lighting rig, widget and what-have-ya. The new gear promises to make you a better photographer. The truth is, however, only YOU can make you a better photographer. You are the one who has to have vision. You are the one who has to think it through. You are the one who has to work out the shot. When it comes to essential gear, YOU are the single most important component on any assignment. Concerning photography, you must be your single biggest investment. Do everything you can to hone your skills as a photographer. Read what you can. Learn as much as possible. Shoot more than possible. Mess up. Learn from it, and try it again. Meet with other photographers. Get involved in open forums, comment on blogs. Heck, start a blog. Whatever you do, put a much greater importance on developing your skills and vision as a photographer than on your gear. David duChemin has a mantra I think needs adopting by many of us: “Gear is good; vision is better.” Don’t focus on the gear. Focus on your vision. YOU are what makes killer images, not your gear – period, the end.

Only have an old hand-me-down camera that’s nearly worn out? Finish the thing off. Bought an off-brand flash on ebay? Rock it ‘till it melts. Stuck with an 18-55, non-IS kit lens? Figure out how to put the rest of us to shame with it. Still using Photoshop Elements to fix everything? For Pete’s sake, start nailing your images “in camera,” and stop having to “fix” everything later. Then you may not even need Photoshop.

For years I had it backwards. I got caught up in thinking “if only I had this camera, that light, or the other lens, then I would get better images.” Believe me, the “better” gear does not make you a better photographer. That said, different gear may help us achieve our vision easier. You see, once you begin to invest in yourself, your skills improve. When your skills improve, you begin to develop your style. As your style emerges, you might realize you can’t achieve your vision with your current equipment. Then and only then should we start looking at new gear. Many people barely know how to use the stuff they have before they want something different. If we would simply understand the limitations of the gear we have, we could then maximize its capabilities, and realize we probably don’t need the shiny new stuff. Now, if the gear you have can’t deliver what your vision demands, then its time to look at something new. But that should be the order. Vision first, gear second. An ancient prophet once said “without vision, the people will perish.” The same is true in our craft. If we get caught up in gear and never cultivate our vision, we end up with the same level of images – and a very heavy equipment bag. And we’re broke.

This post may not be what you were expecting. You may have been expecting me to tell you to buy the new Nikon D5s mark II with the DX 12-2400mm f/1.2 lens, a half dozen SB-580 EX IIIs, some Wizard Poppers and Photoshop CS9. You may have wanted me to tell you about the secret piece of gear that will magically make it all better. If so, then I’m sorry to break it to you. Gear won’t make it better. What does it take to make killer images? You. Only with hard work, determination, and a passionate commitment will we become better at your craft. Invest in yourself and master the gear you already have.

I feel I still have a long way to go in my own photography. I only have 40,000+ clicks on my three-year-old D200. Which means I have a lot of mileage left on it. And I plan to get the most out of every mile left on that thing. Maybe by then my skills and vision will demand a replacement. Until that happens though, you’ll see me out there rockin’ my “vintage” D200.

Anyone care to join me?

Now, go out and shoot something!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Todd,

    Great post.

    About 15 year back, I was at a portraiture workshop and the guy who ran it had the most crapped out camera & lighting gear I have ever seen in my life. From memory, the camera was an old twin lens reflex, only 12 shots per roll of film.

    But the portraiture he created from those vintage gear were truly out of this world.

    Rumi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rummi:

    Thats exactly what I'm getting at! "Gear is good, Vision is better." ~ Period, the end.

    Thakns for reading and for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic post Todd!

    I've fallen into the same trap myself more than once, it's great to see this post.

    Great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete