February 1, 2010

New Shiny Blog

Bearing Insanity

Welcome to my new (and finally consistent) blog format. Over the years I’ve made a few attempts at this, but I never kept it up. The reason for so many failed attempts was no focus, no aim to what I was doing. But this time is different. This time I have a clear vision to what I want to do.

In the past year, I’ve spent hours reading and learning from others. Photographers like Zack Arias, David Hobby, David duChemin, David Jackson and Randy Bacon (to name a few) have greatly impacted the way I approach my own photography. I have gained so much from them. I am forever indebted to them. There are many who are committed to sharing nearly everything they have for the good of the industry, to improve our craft as a whole. Instead of hoarding their skills and knowledge, they have given it all away.

And I want to join them.

I may be much lower on the photography food chain, but I am there. My images may not stack up to theirs, but I am improving. I may not have the skills or knowledge of those I look up to, but I do have something to give. And so do you for that matter. Each one of us, from the pros shooting high-end assignments, to the newbie who just picked up her first camera – we all possess something to contribute to the craft. And that’s the reason I am typing this. I want to take what I have learned and pass it on. I want to offer what I can. I want to contribute to the photography community. I want to let anyone interested to join me on my journey to make this thing a career. There is a school of thought that says the one who looses his life shall surely gain it. I believe the way to truly receive anything we must fully give everything for it.

This time around I have focus. And this focus is why I will keep this blog thing going. Over the next several months you can expect a consistent schedule from me. Mondays I will be offering a photo critique. I’ll take a photograph (submitted by anyone out there) and give you my two cents worth. These critiques will be constructive, but not sugar coated. When I was in school, some of my favorite days were photo critiques. I loved having my images stripped apart and every flaw pointed out. Not because I enjoy abuse, but because I realize the value. Only when we see what can be improved upon, can we then improve. On Wednesdays I’ll be discussing photography technique and industry news. I’ll do my best to offer you some tangible information to improve your photography. On Fridays, I’ll be answering industry related questions. Along the way I’ll give you an inside look as I go through the trial and error of building my career. Finally, on the first Friday of every month I’ll post some of my own photographs. I’ll be doing this because I am first and foremost an artist and I want everyone to see what I create.

Now, go out and shoot something!

1 comment:

  1. So excited to follow your blog! And excited for this season you are in.

    ReplyDelete