January 3, 2011

2011: Come Out Swinging!

© Todd Walker

It's been a while since I last posted on here (I had the busiest fall of my career to date). I want to start off this year's first post, summarizing my journey over the past 13 months.

Over the last 13 months, I...
  • Shot my first, second, and third solo weddings
  • Landed my first commercial shoot
  • Dedicated myself to learning off-camera lighting
  • Committed to developing and creating my personal photographic style
  • Started this blog, in an attempt to give back to the photography community
  • Began to take Facebook seriously so I could connect with more of you
  • Started a Twitter account, again to further connect with the Photography community
  • Traveled over 5,000 miles shooting various events for one client
  • Had work published in several newspapers from Washington state to North Carolina
  • Had some of my work incorporated into a television show on the Outdoor Channel
  • Started a new company called Restored Film (more on that as the year continues)
  • And added over 30 new images to my portfolio on my Website


    2010 was very, very good to me. I had the honor and pleasure to use my God given talents to accomplish a lot this past year. I've gone from scraping the bottom of the barrel to providing a solid income for my family. I met a lot of great people. I had the chance to help others become better in their photography. I've been blessed this past year. And I am nothing if not extremely thankful.

    As 2010 ends, and 2011 begins, I've been given the opportunity and the means to begin giving back in bigger, more meaningful ways. Stay tuned this year, as I take what I have been given and take it to even greater heights. I am nothing if not extremely optimistic about 2011.

    As I look at the future, I am always reminded of a quote from fellow photographer, David duChemin:

    "Whatever the next step for you is, take it boldly. There’s no reward in tiptoeing through life only to make it safely to death."

    This year, if you've ever had a dream to do something different, a desire to do something more, a passion that is screaming to come out, then let this be your year. Go the extra mile. Put in the extra hours. Fight for what you want. Some of the best things in life are fought for. And, like most of us who fight, you'll likely get beat up a little along the way. But when the dust settles, and the sweat dries, you'll be glad you came out swinging, and didn't throw in the towel.

    Here's to a wonderful new year. May your exposures be great and your flashes never burn out.
    _______________

    Lighting setup for the image above:  SB-800 through a 48" translucent umbrella, camera right. Large 3'x5' reflector at camera left, just outside the frame. Background is white, but was made dark grey using the inverse square law.  Used Lightroom for post-production, adjusting blacks, contrast, clarity and vignette. Camera: Nikon D200, ISO400, NEF (raw).
    _______________

    Interested in what 5,000+ miles' worth of photo shoots looks like? Here's a screen shot of my trips on google maps:
    Fall2010
    Starting in Northern Oklahoma, here's all five locations: Western Kentucky, Southern Oklahoma, Northern Texas, Southern Georgia, and Western Mississippi. I was shooting for the American Whitetail Authority, and my work has been used for their promotional material, TV shows, and website. To learn more, click HERE.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment