March 19, 2010

Your Questions Answered: "What do you shoot with?"

© Todd Walker

I’ve gotten the question that every photographer asks every other photographer in the world: “What do you shoot with?” I really try hard not to make a big deal out of equipment. I don’t get into the Canon vs. Nikon, zooms vs. primes, blah blah blah. The reason is simple. I’ve seen images made with disposable 35mm film cameras that could run circles around some of the high-end pro cameras. To me the final image is the most important. When it comes right down to it, I couldn’t care less about what a person shoots with, so long as he or she is able to capture their vision. A good image is a good image. Period. The end. Game over. To read my opinion of essential gear, read this post HERE. At any rate, I’ve been asked the question so many times, I figure I’ll go ahead and answer the question. But I must warn you, you may be disappointed. My bag is far from glamorous.

What I use 99% of the time

Nikon D200 (you know, vintage)

Tamron 28-75 f/2.8

Nikon SB-800 (used for most of my portrait work)

(2) Pocket Wizard Plus II Transceivers (used to fire my flash)

(1) Light Stand

(1) Umbrella Adapter

(1) 45” Shoot-through Umbrella

Plus plenty of memory cards and batteries.

I also own, and use occasionally:

Nikon 18-200mm VR f/3.5-5.6 (used for a backup, and trips to the Zoo)

(3) Promaster 300ws studio strobes (inexpensive, but they get the job done)

(3) Light Stands

(2) 24x36” Softboxes

100ft extension cord

For most shoots, I can fit everything I need in a Tamrac 506, and carry a lightstand and umbrella. And that’s it. Is there gear out there I’d like to add to my bag? Sure. There’s some things out there that would help me fulfill my photographic vision. What would those things be? First and foremost, a new camera. Wait, what?!? What about all that “using your D200 till it dies talk in your essential gear post?” As I am beginning to shoot more and more weddings, I am finding I need a backup camera, for obvious reasons. Though my friends have been awesome about letting me borrow theirs for backups, having my own only makes sense.

Another thing I’d love to have is the ability to take my studio strobe on location, without the need to plug them in – ie, portable power. I’ve done amazing stuff with my SB-800, but to progress in my photographic vision, I’m needing more power. So I’m looking into that as well. I also wouldn’t mind having a wide angle prime lens, like the 20mm f/1.8 I borrowed from Nikki C. two weeks ago, and fell in love with. But for now, that’d be a luxury.

So for all you equipment geeks out there, there you go. But please, don’t go out and buy anything you see on my list thinking it will make you a better photographer. It won’t. The only thing that will make you a better photographer is you, not another piece of equipment.

Now, forget the equipment, and go out and shoot something!

No comments:

Post a Comment