April 22, 2010

Longsuffering...

© Todd Walker

There are days, no, weeks when I think this career thing of mine is a dead end. It seems that too much time passes without income. Sure, I keep shooting, sharpening my skills and honing my craft. But I've decided something different. I want more out of my camera than simply creating images. I want my camera to completely replace the need for a job. And that's what I'm pursuing. But at times, for far too long, the means to this end eludes me. Every time I seem to gain a little bit of traction, start making a little money, I somehow get stuck, and a monetary dry spell ensues. As the time passes, the bills continue to come. It doesn't take very long before discouragement sets in. Discouraged over the fact that my craft, the very thing that makes me most alive, is doing very little to put food on the table. This is when I begin to think, "maybe I should just give it up and go get a 'real' job." At least that way I could shoot for the pure enjoyment of it - without the added pressure to make a living at it. Just about the time I open up and update my resume', something happens that changes everything...

A few months back, I was about to put my camera down. It had been a long time since I generated any consistent income with it. Things were getting tight, my wallet gathering too many cobwebs. This dry spell nearly lasted too long. I began to think "well, its been a good ride, but it looks like its coming to an end. Time to hang it up and start sendin' out the old resume'. But I sure don't want to." And no sooner does this thought race through my mind, the phone rings...

"Yes, I am free that weekend. Okay great! I'll send you the packages I offer. Thank you so much for considering me." Soon, the wedding was booked. Finally, something to keep me going.

Then the phone rings again...

"I do happen to have that Saturday free. I'd love to cover that for you! I'll send you all the info and we'll be set. Thank you so much for the opportunity to work with you." Not long after, the prom was scheduled. Now were talking!

The phone rings again...

"Sure, I can shoot tomorrow. It just so happens I'm free. Absolutely, I'd love to. What time is good for you? Great! I'll see you at 8:30am at the stadium." Senior session on the books. On a roll!

Again the phone rings...

"I would love to do the product shots for your restaurant! You can just pay me with a couple of free meals, and pass my name around to your business associates. Lets plan on next Friday. Awesome, see you then." Commercial shoot in the bag. Pickin' up steam now!!

Then I get an e-mail...

"I would be honored to photograph your wedding! I'd be more than happy to send you my pricing. I look forward to the opportunity to working for you. If you have any questions, please let me know." Another wedding?!! Are you kidding?!! This is starting to cut into my time to update my blog.

And on and on its been going. Things are picking up. I love getting to do what I love doing!! And its even better to be paying the bills while doing it! And this is great, since I didn't really feel like looking for my resume' anyway. =)

More than anything, I want to make this photography thing work. I don't want to settle. Even when there seems to be no hope, and its time to hang up my camera, I muster everything I can to stand my ground, and keep fighting. I hope against hope that something will change, and I can move ever closer to being finished with my day-job. And once again things have changed. The tide has turned. This time more so than any other year. And I am so glad it has.

So why am I telling you this? Simple. Above all, I want to tell you to hang in there. Clich‚? Sure. But I really want us all to make it. Perhaps you're in the same boat I was in a few months ago. Don't give up. Pick up your camera and get out there and shoot. If you don't have any clients to shoot for, use the opportunity to sharpen your skills. Shoot as though you are practicing for the assignments you will have when things pick up. If you stay at it, and keep hustling for work, things will take a turn for the better. And if you've been "practicing," you'll be all the more prepared to deliver the level of photography you clients want. Use the time you have wisely. If you keep shooting, it won't be in vain.

Maybe you're not trying to make a living as a photographer, but in a creative rut. Hang in there. Keep at it. Things will change. You will break through that creative funk, and your photography will reach the next level. If you love it, do everything you can to push on to better things. If you give up, you will surely never improve.

Delivering images to a recent client...
"Here's your high resolution disc. Its been an honor to work with you...Yes, I would absolutely be interested in working with you on that later this year. I am more than willing to fly to those destinations to cover those events for you. I would love the opportunity to work with you on that!... I really look forward to talking with you more about it." I Did not see this one coming. So glad I never put down my camera! I am currently in negotiations with a company to photograph five, weeklong events this year. These five events would completely replace the income I make in an entire year at my part-time day job. And this could potentially be a yearly gig.

You just never know what's around the corner. Just a few months ago, I was seriously tempted to put my camera down, and giving up. But something in me refused. And now I have some great opportunities on the horizon. Sometimes we must hope against hope, keeping at it until something happens. This opportunity may not pan out. But, hey, it's a heck of a lot more exciting than leaving my camera on the shelf. And even if it doesn't work out, one day, one way or another, my entire income will be made with my camera. I'm fighting for those days. I vow, Lord willing, to never put down my camera.

Now, go out and shoot something!

No comments:

Post a Comment